6.07.2016

DIY Footprint Art for Father's Day



Every year I have the same problem.. What do I get my dad (the man who has everything) for Christmas, birthday, Father's Day? Well, now that he's a grandpa I have the perfect solution: homemade gifts from Nolan. 
Grandpa Joe's birthday was this past weekend and we made him a salt dough stepping stone with Nolan's footprint. I think it would also make the perfect Father's Day gift, and we will be making different variations of it for Nolan's other grandpas. My dad loves boating, so for this one I went with a nautical theme. 

Supplies: 
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water
Rolling pin
Toothpick or skewer
Paint
Craft spray sealer 
Small paintbrush



In a large bowl mix water and salt until dissolved. Gradually add flour until it forms a soft dough, I just used my hands for this part. Roll it flat onto a baking sheet with rolling pin. Shape into desired shape, I used the lid from a large pot to make a circle. 

Put a little flour on child's foot so it doesn't stick, then gently press into dough. Form anchor design around footprint with your finger. Write letters with a toothpick, or skewer, which I used since it was thicker and made bigger letters.



Bake the piece at 250 degrees for 2-3 hours (depending on thickness) until dried out. Let it fully cool then place on nonstick paper and paint it. I used acrylic paint. If you plan on your artwork being outside you'll need to seal it. Krylon makes a good spray sealer. All done! 


I think it turned out cute, not perfect, but grandpa didn't mind. :)

Next, I'm going to try making one out of cement and a cake pan! 

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment